Senegal forward Sadio Mane will miss the World Cup through injury.
Mane sustained a knee injury playing for Bayern Munich earlier this month.
There were initial fears he would not be fit to represent his country in Qatar, however, he was included in their 26-man squad.
It was said he would have missed his side’s opening game against the Netherlands.
Senegal boss Aliou Cisse was optimistic Mane would have a part to play for his side in the showpiece tournament.
“We are monitoring the situation and we sent a doctor from the federation,” Cisse previously said.
“On Thursday, Sadio spent the whole day in Munich before travelling to Austria for further tests. The good news is that he does not need an operation.
“It is important to continue to monitor his injury and hope that in two or three weeks there is a change. We will give everything to have Sadio back.”
But he will not be playing at all in the tournament, Senegal confirmed on Thursday.
After undergoing a second MRI scan, it has been revealed that Mane will undergo surgery.
More to follow…
READ MORE: This World Cup is a devil’s bargain that should see beginning of the end of Fifa
Leave a Reply