AC Milan are waiting to hear the outcome of the Man Utd internal investigation into Mason Greenwood before deciding whether to try and sign the striker, according to reports.
Greenwood had been facing charges including attempted rape and assault but the Crown Prosecution Service announced in early February that the case had been discontinued as “the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction”.
Man Utd then issued their own statement which said “the club will now conduct its own process before determining next steps”.
Erik ten Hag was asked about Greenwood at a press conference shortly after the announcement in February but would not go beyond the club statement.
“I can’t add nothing,” the Man Utd boss said. “I refer to the statement of the club. In this moment, I can’t give a comment about the process.
“I can’t say anything about it, I refer to the statement of the club and at this moment I can’t add anything.”
Greenwood, who has two and a half years left on his contract, has been suspended from both training and playing for the club since his arrest in January 2022.
And now Relevo claim that the hierarchy at AC Milan ‘appreciate the technical qualities’ of Greenwood with the Man Utd striker ‘looking forward to starting over, out of England’.
Spanish publication Fichajes cite the story in Relevo and add that AC Milan are showing interest in Moussa Dembele, Noah Okafor and Florian Balogun.
Milan are ‘pending the situation’ at Man Utd to see the Red Devils’ decision over the Englishman’s future as they look to ‘rejuvenate their squad’.
Man Utd take on Nottingham Forest in the late Premier League kick-off on Sunday as they look to capitalise on both Newcastle and Tottenham losing on Saturday.
The Red Devils are still in the Europa League and FA Cup, as well as competing for the top four in the Premier League, and they are currently struggling with a number of injuries as they head into a relentless part of the season.
But Erik ten Hag is confident that his squad has the depth and quality to deal with a growing list of absentees.
Speaking in his pre-match press conference on Friday, Ten Hag said: “We have depth in the squad. We have to use the squad – that’s also what we did (on Thursday).
“In the meantime, you have to win games, so also you need a tactical approach to win the games.
“But I think we have good players and when we have problems – so injuries, suspensions – we have depth in the squad.”
READ MORE: Marcel Sabitzer is the Bryan Robson-style all-action man Man Utd need
Leave a Reply